Dental Hygiene - What You'll Learn
Earning a Bachelor of Applied Science in Allied Health - Dental Hygiene will help you develop the applied knowledge and technical expertise to broaden your career options in the healthcare industry. You will also receive real-world experience working with the latest equipment and caring for patients in the Dental Education Clinic, and develop the skills needed to be an integral part of a dental care team.
Graduates of the Seattle Central Dental Hygiene Program will be able to:
- Qualify for all national and regional examinations required to obtain licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) in the State of Washington.
- Demonstrate effective communication, professional and ethical behavior, sensitivity in treatment and enhanced opportunities for intra– and inter–professional collaboration in the delivery of culturally competent and ethical care.
- Use the highest standard of the dental hygiene process of care and education in the treatment and management of the child, adolescent, adult, geriatric and medically compromised patients in all aspects of dental hygiene practice and expanded duties as allow by the Washington state practice act which includes the following:
- Collect and analyze data to identify patient needs and oral health problems.
- Establish realistic goals and treatment strategies to facilitate optimal oral health.
- Provide treatment as identified in the assessment and planning phase.
- Measure the extent goals identified in the treatment plan were achieved.
- Use evidence–based practice and a patient–centered care philosophy in all aspects of dental hygiene practice.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate community–based oral health programs including, health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- Demonstrate appropriate life support measures for medical emergencies that may be encountered in dental hygiene practice.
- Evaluate current scientific literature for evidence–based clinical applications.
- Use problem solving strategies related to comprehensive patient care and management of patients.
- Comply with OSHA, WISHA and HIPAA Regulations.
Learn more about course planning for the Dental Hygiene program.