Get Started in Dental Hygiene
Whether you're an interested student or a healthcare professional looking to take that next step, it's never been easier to complete your career training in Dental Hygiene.
In order to be successful in the Dental Hygiene program, you will need to build a foundation in basic sciences along with taking essential general education courses. To be considered for the program, you must complete the following courses with a minimum of 2.5 grade.
- Complete all science prerequisites except for NUTR& 101 at the time of Application due date: CHEM& 121 Introduction to Chemistry; CHEM& 122 Introduction to Organic Chemistry; BIOL& 160 General Biology; BIOL& 241 Human Anatomy and Physiology I; BIOL& 242 Human Anatomy and Physiology II; BIOL& 260 Microbiology; MATH& 146 Introduction to Statistics; and NUTR& 101 Human Nutrition.
- Complete ENGL& 101 English Composition I and two (2) non-science course, including: ENGL& 102 English Composition II; PSYC& 100 General Psychology; HUM 105 Intercultural Communication; other humanities electives.
- TOEFL or IELTS test (for English as a Second Language applicants only)
Please note that completion of the prerequisite courses does not guarantee admission. If you repeat courses, the most recent grade will be used during the selection process. Math and science courses must be taken within five (5) years of application. Any prerequisite not completed by the application deadline may be completed during the Fall or Winter Quarter prior to the spring quarter program start or during the Summer Quarter immediately after the program start.
Steps to Enroll
Applications for the program are due each October, and accepted students begin courses in Spring Quarter. Here's how to apply for Seattle Central College's Dental Hygiene program:
- Attend an information session, which are offered in January, May, September and October at the Health Education Center on Beacon Hill. Contact the Dental Hygiene program at 206.934.4186 about attending an information session and to learn more about the program. (Optional)
- Complete the 5-Step Enrollment Process for Seattle Central College, which includes placement testing and transcript evaluations to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Review and complete the Application Procedure for the Bachelor of Applied Science in Allied Health - Dental Hygiene.
- Following the October application deadline and the review process, applicants will be notified of their acceptance status.
- If admitted into the program, students will need to undergo a criminal background check (prior to registration), and then complete forms provided at registration to provide proof of a two-step TB test or related blood test; required immunizations; and a physical exam.
The Process to Apply
A list of steps to apply to the Dental Hygiene Program (pdf).
Any documents submitted to Seattle Central College's Admissions Office or the Dental Hygiene program will become the property of Seattle Central College. Please keep copies of documents you wish to retain in your records.