Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship
In partnership with Seattle Central College, Kaiser Permanente Washington will offer between 20-24 scholarships to study Medical Assisting. With this scholarship, you can earn full tuition, stipends for books, supplies and fees, which will help local students build the future healthcare workforce in the state.
If you receive a Kaiser Permanente scholarship, you'll benefit from:
- Scholarship Financial Assistance: Full tuition, fees, books, and supplies for the four quarter Medical Assistant program at Seattle Central College, which includes hands-on learning and an externship at a medical clinic
- College Navigation: Support and coaching from a Seattle Colleges Navigator and connection to resources
If you have questions, please contact Krystal.Sales@seattlecolleges.edu.
Check out our newest scholarship recipients:
About the Application
Eligibility for the Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Scholarship is contingent upon acceptance into the Medical Assistant program at Seattle Central College. You must apply to both Seattle Central College and the Medical Assistant program, and complete all the required steps.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
- Apply to the Seattle Central Medical Assistant program for Fall 2020. To do this:
- Attend an information session about the Medical Assistant program. Dates are to be determined
- Complete the 5-Step Enrollment Process for Seattle Central College, which includes placement testing and/or transcript evaluations to ensure you meet the academic eligibility requirements
- Complete the Medical Assistant application
- Apply to the Kaiser Permanente Scholarship
- Applications for the next scholarship will be live late Spring 2020
Applicants must meet eligibility requirements for the Medical Assistant program.
The scholarship also seeks to support students from underrepresented backgrounds. While not required, people who meet any of the criteria below are encouraged to apply:
- First-generation college students (neither parent received a four-year college degree)
- Person of color
- Non-native English speaker
- Priority application deadline: To be announced Spring 2020
- MA program interviews: Summer 2020
- Scholarship Orientation: Fall 2020
- Classes begin: Fall 2020
Additional celebrations or events may be planned for students receiving the scholarship throughout the year.
What is the Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship?
The scholarship is a partnership between Kaiser Permanente and the Seattle Colleges designed to address several important issues in our region:
- Financial barriers to living-wage careers
- Shortage of Medical Assistants
- Need for support and professional development for students
Over three years, the scholarship will provide about 60 students with:
- Scholarships to the Seattle Central College Medical Assistant Program
- Support from a college navigator
What is the MA program like and what do Medical Assistants do?
This program is full-time and lasts four-quarters. Classes are held at Seattle Central College's Health Education Center in the Pacific Tower on Beacon Hill. Read more about the MA program.
As part of the frontline medical care team, medical assistants play a key role in helping nurses, doctors, medical specialists and surgeons with patient care and administrative duties. This program is the perfect opportunity for you to become a well-rounded health care professional, especially if you enjoy working on a team, caring for patients, and being in a fast-paced environment. Our program includes a robust curriculum, hands-on training, field trips and clinical experiences. Medical assisting is quickly becoming one of the nation's fastest growing careers, and this scholarship is a great opportunity to start in the health care field.
Does the Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship Program guarantee me a job at Kaiser Permanente?
This is a scholarship for the Medical Assistant program and is not a guarantee of future employment. However, medical assisting is a high-demand career and you will interact with many employers and support with job placement.
What is expected of students to receive the scholarship throughout the program?
- Attend a scholarship orientation
- Check in with your college navigator at least once per quarter
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress in the Seattle Central Medical Assistant program
- Uphold student conduct expectations for Seattle Central College
What type of support will I get as a recipient of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch scholarship?
You will have access to free tutoring and coaching in addition to all the student services available through Seattle Central College.
What funding is available apart from the scholarship?
The scholarship will cover tuition, fees, books and equipment. However, students may qualify for additional funding available through a variety of sources, including:
- Federal financial aid: Seattle Central College students may qualify for federal grants and loans. To apply, file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to learn more about Financial Aid that may be available to you. Learn more about financial aid
- Workforce Services: Workforce Services provide support for students through a variety of funding programs. Learn more about Workforce Services
- Other Seattle Central scholarships: Students who apply for federal financial aid or Workforce Services funding will be responsible for submitting necessary documentation and managing their funding outside of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship. Learn more about other Seattle Central scholarships
What if I am not selected? Can I join the program in the future?
If you are not selected for the scholarship, you can still apply to the Medical Assistant program in future quarters.
If I am accepted, can I work during the Medical Assisting program?
The Medical Assisting program is a full-time, four quarter program and will require a lot of time and effort. It is recommended that you work no more than part-time.
Who should I contact with questions?
Please email Krystal Sales at Krystal.Sales@seattlecolleges.edu.
About Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. We are recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente has a mission to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
We currently serve 12.3 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia. Care for members and patients is focused on their total health and guided by their personal Permanente Medical Group physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our experts and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: about.kaiserpermanente.org.