Are you interested in IT and want to put those skills to use helping others? The certificate in Health IT will prepare you for a career as an IT professional in a medical center or hospital setting. You'll earn foundational IT skills, gain exposure to the industry standard electronic health record system, and build essential communication and customer service skills.
Cohort-based programs, such as Health IT, are programs in which you progress alongside your fellow classmates throughout your coursework. Cohort programs build community and provide you with a network of future Health IT professionals.
The scholarship application for the Health IT certificate is now closed for the 2022-2023 academic year.
What You’ll Get
We partner with hospitals and health centers across King County and Washington to prepare you for a rewarding career in Health IT. Within just one year of training, you’ll get:
- The Health IT certificate from Seattle Central College, co-designed with the healthcare industry, covering foundational IT skills, customer service skills, and exposure to Epic, the leading electronic health record system in the country
- CompTIA A+ certification, the industry standard for establishing a career in IT and the preferred qualifying credential for technical support and IT operational roles - trusted by employers around the world
- A capstone to build hands-on experience in Health IT to add to your resume
Location: The program is offered online through Seattle Central College.
Start Date: This year's cohort of the Health IT program will begin on September 26, 2022.
Length: 9 months (15 credits per quarter for 3 quarters).
Schedule and Modality: Courses will be offered online, with potential for hybrid formats (a combination of in-person and online). All courses will take place in the evenings so you can work, take care of your family, or engage other pursuits during the daytime hours.
Costs and Funding: The total cost of the program for a Washington State resident is $4,206. Several financial supports are available, including Federal Financial Aid, Workforce Funds, and a full scholarship provided by Seattle Children’s Hospital. The cost for international students will be different. Please contact International Programs for assistance.
- The scholarship application for the Health IT certificate is closed for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Class Size: 15 – 25 students
Program Prerequisites: There are no formal prerequisites for program entry, though basic conversational English and basic math skills are helpful. Anyone who is a high school graduate or anyone age 18 or older can enroll.
For Additional Questions: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-934-4347.
Follow the Steps to Enroll. (Complete before beginning classes September 26.)
- BTM 111 Business Applications - 5 credits
- IT 100 Information Technology Fundamentals - 5 credits
- HUM& 105 Intercultural Communications - 5 credits
- IT 141 Intro to Hardware - 5 credits
- IT 142 Into to Operating Systems - 5 credits
- ENGL& 101 English Composition I - 5 credits
- IT 130 Network Essentials - 5 credits
- CMST& 101 Intro to Communications - 5 credits
- AHE 126 Essential Skills in Healthcare - 2 credits
- IT 888 Epic Essentials I + Capstone I - 3 credits
Upon completion of the micropathway in Health IT, you have several options, including:
- Go straight into the Health IT workforce
- Continue into an associate degree and/or an applied bachelor’s in Health IT to grow your skills and earn more money and more responsibility (credits from your Health IT micropathway will count toward the associate and bachelor’s degrees)
- Do both at once – get a job and continue your education at the same time
Job and Salary Prospects
We know that access to a career you love is crucial. Potential employers for graduates of the program include:
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Kaiser Permanente
- NeighborCare Health
- Swedish Hospitals
- UW Medicine
- Many more
The Health IT micropathway will help you gain access to the many career options within the Health IT field, from Health IT engineer to trainer, manager, and beyond.
Starting salaries for these entry-level roles are typically between $50 - $60K per year, with the opportunity to earn more as you advance.